Welcome to Cos Cob
Cos Cob was originally known as Mianus. It was an Englishman named John Coe, an early settler, who built a seawall at the mouth of the Mianus River and referred to it as a cob. He left in 1659, but the name Cos Cob remained. Cos Cob flourished as a seaport during the 1700s and 1800s. At the turn of the nineteenth century, it evolved into an intellectual and artist colony, playing host to the likes of Eugene O’Neill, Willa Cather and Anya Seton, whose father, Ernest Thompson Seton, was a founder of the Boy Scouts of America. The historic Bush-Holley House, presently the home of the Historical Society of the Town of Greenwich, became famous as the residence and studio of the renowned Cos Cob School of American Impressionists. Today, Cos Cob has its own shopping center. The Mianus River flows through its residential areas and there are extensive marinas on the upper Mianus Harbor.